Wishing you all a beautiful, blessed, and lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with your loved ones.
To celebrate, I have not one or two, but FIVE fun things going on for you: Two crazy short polls, two giveaways, AND my answers to a cool Xmas-related survey going around. (Because, you know, why not get to know me better ;)?)
LET’S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
POLLS: How much blogging or social-media-ing will you do tomorrow and Wednesday?
GIVEAWAY #1: #DOSEOFCHARM
The last event in this year’s #DoseOfCharm series is a super fun mega giveaway (for LOTS of ad space, gift cards, and gifts) :D! So enter below ASAP because it expires on the 31st:
GIVEAWAY #2: AD SPACE!
To thank you all for being so loyal and just plain great, I’m offering you my biggest sidebar spots at HALF price. So you can get a Grande sidebar spot (300×200–reg. $5) AND/OR an In-Post spots (600×60–reg. $8) for $2.50 and/or $4, respectively. NO CODE NECESSARY! (Basically I’m “giving away” BIG discounts on my growing blog. Think of this as a “Cyber Monday” of sorts ;).)
Just visit my Sponsor page and get the one your heart desires. If you’ve always wanted to advertise on TRL, now’s the time! Sign up asap because spots go fast. Mi casa es tu casa ;), so feliz Navidad!
SWEET 16 QUESTIONS: HOLIDAY STYLE
My dear blog friend Amberly from Life With Joe & Amberly had these on her blog (she had 25 Questions though) recently and I was like, “I Wanna Do That!” Because WHY wouldn’t you want to know about Colombians and Christmas? So here are my answers to some of your (imaginary) questions:
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate EVERY time. Btw, if your hot chocolate comes in powder form, you’re DEFINITELY drinking the WRONG kind of hot chocolate. Colombian HC comes in actual bars that you have to break off into chunks and heat up in a pot with milk. It’s delicious and American HC stinks.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Colombians don’t have a “Santa”; we have a “Niño Dios”–i.e., Baby Jesus. And yes, he wraps our presents every year.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? My mom likes colored; I kinda like white. But I love her more and colored looks more festive, so she wins.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope. Maybe when I’m living on my own while I’m in grad school, I will if I decorate for the holidays. But as someone who lives with her parents, I don’t have the need for one. We do have a beautiful wreath hanging atop a archway, though!
5. When do you hang your decorations up? In Colombia, on November 1. Here, we’ve gotten lazier (yikes, I know), so perhaps around mid-December.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? We like switching things up–one year we even had paella on Christmas–so I don’t have an absolute favorite holiday dish.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Seeing what presents El Niño Dios had put on my bed (that’s how he delivers his presents to kids, though it’s not like that anymore, for obvious reasons) before I woke up on the 25th, of course!! And on the years that we traveled to see my relatives, having all those people (my relatives and their relatives) around.
8. What is on your Christmas wish list? A case for my new iPhone and some black boots. What stinks is that Idk where I’ll be going for grad school next year, so Idk what kind of clothes I’ll need, so I haven’t been shopping in a while :(. But I figured I’ll always need black boots regardless of where I’ll be, right?
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Hell no!
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Withcute (mostly handmade) ornaments we’ve had since we were in Colombia 11+ years ago. (Because tradition.) If you’re interested, check out what our whole house looks like this holiday season!
11. Snow? Love it or dread it? This will be our 11th Winter in Utah. We’ve been sick of this weather for YEARS. God knows we’re ready to move to a warmer zone. (PS- Here are my reasons for why I hate the cold months.) Enough said.
12. Real tree or fake tree? “Christmas” trees don’t grow in Colombia, so we’ve had fake trees our whole lives. We got a real tree one year and discovered they’re a pain to set up, clean up after, and get rid of. Fake all the way, baby. (That’s what she said? :/)
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? El Niño Dios has been so nice to me over the years, I don’t have a gift that’s stood up! However, I kept a few for my future daughters, including a Barbie house with electronic sounds and everything (it’s GORGEOUS) (try to look it up on eBay under “1998 Mattel Barbie FAMILY HOUSE Folding Cottage” and then try to not want to buy it) + a Fisher-Price Dream Doll House that I bought on eBay a few years ago b/c we had given away the one I grew up with before moving here.
14. Candy canes, yuck or yum? I don’t have anything against them, but if they ceased to exist, I wouldn’t miss them.
15. Favorite Christmas movie? I love Love Actually! (Thank God for Netflix!)
16. Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall? It depends: I like the experience of going to a store, but if I don’t want to go out (let’s face it: I’m a hermit), then it’s online all the way. Unless I need to get something at T.J. Maxx because that place is perfect and I’ll never decline an invitation to go there!
BONUS Q (because “Sweet 16” sounds more fun than 17)! Christmas letter or Christmas card? Neither: Nobody does them in Colombia. Plus, sending stuff over there from here is way expensive and we have perhaps a dozen friends and relatives (total) in the States, so it’s not worth it. We talk on the phone often and they see our photos on my mom’s Facebook (since I left Facebook this year) throughout the year, so again, meh…
How would YOU answer some of these?? If you write a post with these Qs, feel free to share them with me!
OK, lovelies, I’m out for the rest of the week but I’ll leave you with one last gem, because I’m feeling generous and because Christmas.
See ya next Monday and THEN the following Monday, AKA next year!